Skip Navigation
Town of Cheverly Home
This table is used for column layout.
Quick Links
Cheverly Seal
Friendly Reminders to Residents
Friendly Reminders to Residents:

•Animals running at large.
•Failure to pick up fecal waste when walking dog.
•Excessive noise.
•Unsanitary conditions on private property.
•Confined in heat.
•Failure to license a dog/cat.
•Failure to display license and/or current rabies tag.

Don’t let your pets become a nuisance.
•Complaints from residents:
•Dogs running loose that have bitten residents.
•Dogs running loose that have attacked smaller dogs being walked by their owners.
•Owners walking their dogs that leave fecal waste in other people’s yards, on sidewalks, or in parks.

•Your dog/cat must be SECURELY confined so that it cannot escape from your property.
•Dogs must be on a leash strong enough to control the animal.
•Do not let your dog run loose in theparks.
•You MUST PICK UP after your animals.

Also, Be aware that if you leave your dog at home alone with the windows open your dog may bark at everything and everyone that passes and become a noise problem for the neighborhood.

a friendly reminder — Please be aware that Cheverly has a noise ordinance. Daytime hours are considered 8AM to 9PM for allowable noise from construction, or emanating from power equipment. Daytime hours on Sunday begin at 9AM.  It is unlawful, between 11:00PM and 8:00AM, to operate radios, televisions, audio systems, etc. that create noise in any way audible to others living nearby, or so as to disturb the peace and quiet of the neighborhood.

Summer brings with it those dreaded outside chores;mowing lawns, trimming trees and hedges and general lot maintenance.

•Allowing grass to grow over 8” in height.
•Trees and bushes in your yard which hang down and otherwise impede sidewalk traffic.
•Hedges and bushes over 3’ high which block the view at intersections.

If you are cited for these (or any) lot maintenance violations, please correct them within the time frame given.  In the case of non-compliance, the Town will have a contractor correct the violations and the property owner will be billed. Please note that these charges can be $100 or more as well as carry a fine.

If you are currently operating a business out of your home, you are required to obtain a Town Residential Business License.

Home occupations are under (Chapter 9-of Town Code) and (subtitle 27-of the Prince George’s County Code) and do not include any retail business or trade, etc.  Town Residential Business Licenses are issued annually for the Fiscal Year (July 1 to June 30).  Please call the Town Clerk at 301-773-8360 or stop by the Town Office to pick up an application form.  The yearly business license fee is $20.

All single-family, multi-family, and roomer rental dwellings in Cheverly are required by Chapter 5 of the Town Code to obtain a Cheverly Rental Housing License.  Licenses are issued annually for the Fiscal Year (July 1 to June 30). Call the Code Enforcement Office at 301-773-8362 for an application. The yearly rental license fee is $40.  

NOTE: Failure to comply with Town Code licensing laws can result in a fine.

Cheverly Executive Offices:   6401 Forest Road, Cheverly, MD 20785  (301) 773-8360
Virtual Towns & Schools Website