Cheverly News and Announcements
As the Holiday Season is upon us, we must be mindful of increased criminal activity. While more of us are out and about looking for holiday deals, thieves are also looking for easy scores.
The Cheverly Police Department wants everyone to have a happy, safe and secure holiday season.
Please take a few minutes to read and apply the following holiday crime prevention tips.
- Whether at home or driving, Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the engine running or with children inside.
- Do Not Leave Any Items In Plain Sight.
- Be cautious when driving alone at night.
- Do not park next to vans, trucks with camper shells or cars with tinted windows.
· If you must shop at night, park in a well-lit area.
- Do not leave packages on the seat of your car. This creates an unnecessary temptation.
- Stay alert to your surroundings. Minimize shopping after dark or when alone. Take a family member or friend with you.
- When approaching and leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings. Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people standing near it. Ask mall or store security for an escort.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay for purchases with a check or card when possible.
- If you must use an ATM, choose one located inside a mall, grocery store or other well-lit area.
- Shield the ATM keypad from anyone standing near you. Do not throw your ATM receipt away at the ATM location.
- Keep cash in your pocket.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all your credit card numbers in a safe place at home so you can report stolen cards by their number.
- Be extra careful if you carry a wallet or purse. They are prime targets of criminals in crowded places.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important you have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Avoid having packages delivered to your home if you are not going to be there. This is a prime target of thieves.
- Arrange to have the package picked up at the post office or UPS store.
- Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts.
- It is not uncommon for criminals to take advantage of the generosity of people during the holiday season by soliciting donations door to door for charitable causes although no charity is involved. Ask for identification and find out how the donated funds will be used. Donate to recognized charitable organizations.
John O'Berry #1631
Cheverly Police Department
Office of Code Enforcement
6401 Forest Rd
Cheverly MD 20785
ph. 301.341.1055 ex. 206
This email and any of its attachments may contain Town of Cheverly or Prince George’s County 7th Judicial Circuit Court proprietary information, which is privileged and confidential. This email is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this email and any printout.
Please consider the environment before printing this email. We can all make a difference.