Code of the Town of Cheverly
An Ordinance amending the Town Personnel Section
to comply with the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act.
WHEREAS, Article VII, Section C-23(A)(3) of the Charter of the Town of Cheverly grants to the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Cheverly the authority to pass Ordinances regarding employees and their benefits; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Town Council are aware that the General Assembly codified the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act in the Labor and Employment Article; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Town Council deem it appropriate to amend this Personnel subsection to be compliant with the current law.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Mayor and Town Council, in regular session assembled, that Section 21-10(f) of the Cheverly Code be repealed and reenacted with amendments as follows:
Sec. 21-10(f). Sick Leave.
- All employees shall earn one (1) day of paid sick leave for each month of service. USE OF EARNED SICK LEAVE SHALL BE AVAILABLE 106 DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF HIRE. There shall be no limitation upon the accumulation of sick leave. No payment shall be made for earned sick leave upon termination of employment with the town.
- Conditions under which sick leave may be taken:
- Personal illness.
- Family illness
– Not to exceed five (5) days in any one (1) year.
Family death leave. In the event of death in the immediate family of an employee (spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, stepparent, stepchild, stepbrother and stepsister), the employee shall be granted there (3) days leave of absence with pay to make household adjustment or to attend funeral services.
- In extraordinary circumstances, the town administrator may grant another two (2) days leave under this provision.
- MATERNITY OR PATERNITY
- PREVENTATIVE MEDICAL CARE
- ABSENSE REQUIRED DUE TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, SEXUAL ASSAULT OR STALKING COMMITTED AGAINST EMPLOYEE OR EMPLOYEE’S FAMILY MEMBER AS DEFINED BY MARYLAND CODE, LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT ARTICLE 3-1301.
Sec 21-10(j). Records.
The town administrator shall cause to be maintained adequate and current records for leave accounting, such records to be a part of the personnel and fiscal records of the town. THE TOWN ADMINISTRATOR SHALL AT A MINIMUM KEEP UP TO THREE (3) YEARS OF RECORDS FOR LEAVE ACCOUNTING FOR EACH EMPLOYEE.
AND BE IT FURTHER ORDAINED that if any provision of this Ordinance or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid for any reason, such invalidity shall not affect the other provisions or any other applications of this Ordinance which can be given effect without the invalid provision or applications, and to this end, all the provisions of this Ordinance are hereby declared to be severable.
AND BE IT FURTHER ORDAINED that this Ordinance shall take effect thirty (30) days from the date of its adoption; provided, however, that a fair summary of the Ordinance is published at least once in a newspaper of general circulation in the Town of Cheverly.
INTRODUCED by the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Cheverly, Maryland, at a regular meeting on July 12 , 2018, at which meeting copies were available to the public for inspection.
ADOPTED by the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Cheverly, Maryland, at a regular meeting on September 13 , 2018, at which meeting copies were available to the public for inspection.
[ ] indicate deletions CAPS/BOLD indicate additions