Code of the Town of Cheverly
An Ordinance clarifying holiday compensation leave
Regarding Town employees working off hour shifts.
WHEREAS, Article VII, Section C-23(A)(3) of the Charter of the Town of Cheverly grants to the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Cheverly the authority to pass Ordinances regarding employees and their benefits; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Town Council are aware that the wording of 21-10(h) Holiday Leave is ambiguous; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor and Town Council deem it appropriate to remove the ambiguity in the above subsection.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Mayor and Town Council, in regular session assembled, that Section 21-10(h) of the Cheverly Code be repealed and reenacted with amendments as follows:
Sec. 21-10. Leave.
(h)~~~~~Holiday Compensation and Leave:
- All employees shall be granted holiday leave with regular compensation for the following holidays: Same holidays as are officially observed by the United States Government; as of January 1, 1985, these holidays are:
New Year's Day.
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday.
- Any employee required to work on a holiday shall be paid, in addition to the regular rate of compensation, an amount equal to the employee's hourly wage for the time actually worked on the holiday.
- Holiday leave shall not be deducted from any other leave earned by an employee.
- When one (1) of the holidays delineated in subsection (1) hereinabove falls on Saturday or Sunday, Friday or the following Monday shall be designated as a substitute holiday and observed as an official holiday for that year for
each NON-ESSENTIAL employeeS.
- ALL ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES SHALL OBSERVE THE ACTUAL DESIGNATED HOLIDAY REGARDING HOLIDAY COMPENSATION.
AND BE IT FURTHER ORDAINED that if any provision of this Ordinance or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid for any reason, such invalidity shall not affect the other provisions or any other applications of this Ordinance which can be given effect without the invalid provision or applications, and to this end, all the provisions of this Ordinance are hereby declared to be severable.
AND BE IT FURTHER ORDAINED that this Ordinance shall take effect thirty (30) days from the date of its adoption; provided, however, that a fair summary of the Ordinance is published at least once in a newspaper of general circulation in the Town of Cheverly.
INTRODUCED by the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Cheverly, Maryland, at a regular meeting on , 2016, at which meeting copies were available to the public for inspection.
ADOPTED by the Mayor and Town Council of the Town of Cheverly, Maryland, at a regular meeting on , 2016, at which meeting copies were available to the public for inspection.
[ ] indicate deletions CAPS/BOLD indicate additions